Areas of Concentration
Complex Commercial Disputes
Corporate Compliance Counseling
White Collar Criminal Defense & Internal Investigations
Real Estate Litigation & Transactions
J.D., University of Michigan Law School (2006)
B.A., Psychology, Phi Beta Kappa, with honors,Washington University in St. Louis (2002)
Designations & Awards
- Rising Star-Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers (2011, 2012 & 2013)
- Top 30 Missouri Verdicts and Settlements-Missouri Lawyer’s Media (2010)
Drey Cooley practices in a number of the firm’s practice groups:
- White Collar Criminal Defense & Internal Investigations
- Real Estate
Drey Cooley is a white collar criminal defense, complex business litigation and corporate and regulatory compliance attorney, with particular emphasis on the health care, pharmaceutical and e-commerce industries. In his white collar practice, Drey represents businesses and individuals (including but not limited to pharmacies, doctors and website owners) under investigation or indicted for white collar criminal offenses, including health care and insurance fraud (e.g., up-coding or false billing to private insurers and Medicare/Medicaid) and violations of the Controlled Substances Act, Ryan Haight Act and the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (including misbranding and adulteration of prescription medication). Drey is the author of InternetDrugLaw.com, a white collar criminal defense blog recognized for its analysis of indictments under the Controlled Substances Act and the Federal Food Drug & Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) relating to, among other things, the alleged dispensation of controlled and non-controlled substances via or facilitated by the internet.
In his business litigation practice, Drey represents businesses and individuals in a wide-variety of litigation matters, including complex commercial and real estate litigation, as well as e-commerce and internet disputes. Many of Drey’s litigation matters concern commercial fraud, fiduciary obligations and intellectual property disputes. With a background in web development, Drey has particular interest in litigation concerning domain names and internet-based intellectual property and trademark disputes.
Drey is a member of the Missouri Bar and Illinois Bar and is licensed to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit and the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri and the Southern District of Illinois. Drey has also appeared pro hac vice in other courts, and his white collar criminal defense and business litigation practice spans nationwide.
- “Clearly Erroneous Review is Clearly Erroneous: Reinterpreting Illinois v. Gates and Advocating De Novo Review for a Magistrate’s Determination of Probable Cause in Applications for Search Warrants,” 55 DRAKE L. REV. 85 (2006)
- InternetDrugLaw.com: Author of criminal defense blog analyzing state and federal prosecutions of online Internet pharmacies
Memberships & Associations
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- Missouri Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (MACDL)
- Missouri Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St.Louis (BAMSL)