Areas of Concentration
- Complex Litigation: Business, Real Estate and Construction Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation: Trademark, Copyright and Patent Infringement
- Intellectual Property Registration: Trademark/Copyright Registration & Prosecution
- Appeals: Civil and Criminal Appeals in Federal and State Appellate Courts
- Commercial Real Estate Tax Appeals: Overvaluation and Tax Exemption Appeals
- White Collar Criminal Defense: Pre- and Post-Indictment Representation
Drey Cooley represents businesses and individuals in a wide variety of business, real estate, construction and intellectual property disputes in state and federal trial and appellate courts. Many of his business and real estate litigation matters involve fiduciary disputes, commercial fraud, construction/mechanic’s liens, unfair competition issues and contract disputes.
In his intellectual property litigation and prosecution practice, Drey assists businesses in the protection and prosecution of their intellectual property portfolios through trademark and copyright infringement litigation in state and federal courts, as well as in actions in front of the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). With a background in web development, Drey has a particular interest in litigation concerning domain names, e-commerce and internet-based trademark and copyright disputes. Aside from litigation, Drey also applies for, registers and prosecutes trademarks and copyrights on behalf of individuals and businesses before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and various state trademark offices, including Missouri.
Drey also represents for-profit and non-profit businesses and individuals in commercial and high-value residential property tax appeals in front of County Boards of Equalization and the Missouri State Tax Commission. Many of these appeals involve claims of overvaluation or, with respect to non-profit corporations, tax exemptions. Drey is the author of MissouriRealEstateTaxAppeals.com, a blog discussing Missouri commercial real estate tax appeals and non-profit property tax exemption issues.
In his white collar criminal defense practice, Drey represents individuals under investigation or indicted for white collar criminal offenses, including health care, insurance (e.g., up-coding or false billing to private insurers and Medicare/Medicaid), mortgage, bank and internet fraud. Drey is also the author of InternetDrugLaw.com, a white collar criminal defense blog recognized for its analysis of prosecutions under the Controlled Substances Act and the Federal Food Drug & Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) relating to, among other things, the alleged dispensation of controlled and non-controlled substances via or facilitated by the internet.
Drey is a member of the Missouri Bar and Illinois Bar and is licensed to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh, Eighth and Eleventh Circuits and the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri and the Southern District of Illinois. Drey has also appeared pro hac vice in other courts, as his practice spans nationwide.
Drey is a member of the board of directors of St. Louis Health Equipment Lending Program (HELP), a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that loans home medical equipment to any person who needs it.
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School (2006)
- B.A., Psychology, Phi Beta Kappa, with honors,Washington University in St. Louis (2002)
Designations & Awards
- Rising Star-Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers (2011-2015)
- Up & Coming Lawyer-Missouri Lawyers Weekly (2015)
- Top 30 Missouri Verdicts and Settlements-Missouri Lawyer’s Media (2010)
- Strategies for Contesting Real Estate Tax Appraisals, National Business Institute (2014)
- Ethics for Real Estate Tax Attorneys, National Business Institute (2014)
- MissouriRealEstateAppeals.com (Apr. 2011-Present): Author of commercial real estate and property tax appeal and exemption blog
- “Commercial Property Assessors Aren’t Always Right – That’s Why You Can Appeal Assessments,” Stltoday.com and LawFuel, Apr. 2014
- “Non-Profit Enterprises Take Heed: Your Property May Not Be Tax-Exempt,” Nonprofit Missouri, Apr. 2014
- InternetDrugLaw.com (Aug. 2008-Present): Author of criminal defense blog analyzing state and federal prosecutions of online Internet pharmacies
- “Clearly Erroneous Review is Clearly Erroneous: Reinterpreting Illinois v. Gates and Advocating De Novo Review for a Magistrate’s Determination of Probable Cause in Applications for Search Warrants,” 55 DRAKE L. REV. 85 (2006)
Memberships & Associations
- Treasurer, Missouri Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St.Louis (BAMSL)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- Missouri Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (MACDL)
Pro Bono and Non-Profit Work
- Director, St. Louis Health Equipment Lending Program (HELP)